Last Updated: March 2024
The App Store has over 1.8 million apps, and the competition for visibility and downloads is fierce. App Store Optimization (ASO) is the process of optimizing an app’s metadata to appear higher in search results and attract more potential users. In this article, we will explore the top ASO tactics for local iOS apps on App Store to increase visibility, downloads, and revenue.
Keywords are the foundation of ASO. They are the words and phrases users type in the search bar to find an app. Choosing the right keywords is crucial for an app’s discoverability. The following tips can help:
- Research competition: Check the keywords used by successful competitors.
- Focus on relevancy: Choose keywords that accurately describe the app’s main features and benefits.
- Use long-tail keywords: Long-tail keywords are specific phrases that can attract users with higher purchase intent.
- Optimize title and subtitle: Add the most important keywords to the app’s title and subtitle for better visibility.
For instance, if you have a local restaurant app, you might use keywords like “local restaurants,” “fine dining,” and “best food in town” to increase your app’s visibility on App Store.
The app’s description is the second most important element after the title for ASO. It should provide a clear and concise explanation of what the app does, how it works, and why it’s better than its competitors. The following tips can help:
- Write for users: The description should be user-focused and written in simple, easy-to-understand language. Use bullet points and short paragraphs for readability.
- Add social proof: Add quotes from positive reviews, ratings, awards, or any other form of social proof.
- Include screenshots and videos: Visuals can help users understand how the app works and what it looks like. Make sure the screenshots and videos are high-quality and represent the app’s features.
For example, you might use bullet points to highlight the features of your local restaurant app, such as reservations, menus, and reviews, and include a few screenshots to showcase the app’s design and functionality.
User reviews can influence an app’s ranking and download rates. The more positive reviews an app has, the higher it is likely to rank in search results. The following tips can help:
- Encourage reviews: Add a prompt within the app to encourage users to leave a review. This can be done after they complete an action or interact with the app for a certain amount of time.
- Respond to reviews: Responding to both positive and negative reviews shows users that you care and are actively improving the app.
- Address negative reviews: Negative reviews can provide valuable feedback for improving the app. Address users’ concerns, and make changes if necessary.
For example, if a user complains about the lack of vegetarian options in your local restaurant app, you might add more vegetarian dishes to the menu and thank them for the feedback in your response.
Localizing an app can improve its visibility and downloads in specific regions by adapting its content and language to local markets. The following tips can help:
- Research local markets: Research cultural and linguistic differences to understand the target market’s needs and preferences.
- Translate app metadata: Translate the app’s title, subtitle, keywords, and description into the target language.
- Adapt visuals and content: Localize visuals, such as screenshots and videos, and adapt the app’s content to local culture and customs.
- Get feedback from native speakers: Ask native speakers to test the app for accuracy, cultural appropriateness, and ease of use.
For instance, if you have a local restaurant app, you might adapt the menu, prices, and description to the local language and currency.
ASO is critical to the success of an app in the crowded marketplace of the App Store. Optimizing the app’s metadata can increase its visibility, downloads, and revenue. The top ASO tactics for local iOS apps on App Store include choosing the right keywords, optimizing the app’s description, encouraging user reviews, and localizing the app for specific markets.
ASO is not a one-time process but an ongoing effort that requires testing, monitoring, and updating. The key is to understand your target audience and how they search for and use apps. By implementing the top ASO tactics for local iOS apps on App Store, you can get your app discovered, downloaded, and used by more users, and ultimately increase revenue and ROI.
“ASO is a critical component of a successful app marketing strategy, and should not be overlooked. By optimizing an app’s metadata, it becomes more discoverable and more likely to be downloaded. ASO is not a one-time task, but rather an on-going process that should be consistently monitored and improved.” – Alexandra David, App Store Optimization Specialist.