Last Updated: September 2023
In the highly competitive world of mobile apps, getting discovered is key to success. This is where App Store Optimization (ASO) comes in. ASO involves optimizing various elements of an app’s listing on the app store to improve its visibility and discoverability. One important aspect of ASO that is often overlooked is localization. Localization involves adapting an app to a specific language, region, or culture to appeal to local users.
ASO Experts on Localization
According to Neil Patel, a leading ASO expert and founder of Neil Patel Digital, “Localization is one of the most important aspects of ASO. It can help improve not just the discoverability of an app, but also its overall user experience. By adapting an app to the language, culture, and preferences of local users, you can increase engagement, retention, and ultimately, revenue.”
Why Localization Matters for iOS Apps
Localization is particularly important for iOS apps, given Apple’s global reach. Apple operates in more than 175 countries and regions, with the App Store available in over 40 languages. As a result, there is a significant opportunity for iOS app developers to reach a global audience.
Moreover, iOS users tend to be more affluent and spend more on apps than Android users. According to a study by Sensor Tower, iOS users spent an average of $63 billion on apps in 2020, compared to $38 billion spent by Android users. Localization can help iOS app developers tap into this lucrative market.
Best Practices for Localizing iOS Apps
So, how can iOS app developers effectively localize their apps for different markets? Here are some best practices:
- Translate app metadata: This includes the app’s name, description, and keywords. It’s important to use a professional translator who is familiar with the local language and culture to ensure accuracy.
- Adapt visuals: Images and videos should be localized to reflect the local culture. For example, if marketing an app in Japan, it’s important to use visuals that appeal to Japanese users.
- Localize app features: Certain app features may be more relevant to certain markets. For example, a fitness app may want to highlight its ability to track steps and calories burned in the United States, whereas in Europe, it may want to highlight its ability to track cycling and swimming.
- Test and iterate: It’s important to test app localization in different markets and iterate based on user feedback. Localization is an iterative process, and it may take several iterations to get it right.
Benefits of Localizing iOS Apps
There are several benefits of localizing iOS apps:
- Improved discoverability: Localized apps are more likely to appear in search results and be featured in the App Store in local markets.
- Increased downloads and revenue: By appealing to local users, developers can increase app downloads and revenue. Localization can also lead to better user ratings and reviews.
- Enhanced user experience: Localized apps provide a better user experience by adapting to local language, culture, and preferences. This can lead to increased user engagement and retention.
Localization is a powerful tool for iOS app developers to improve their ASO strategy. By adapting apps to local language, culture, and preferences, developers can improve discoverability, increase downloads and revenue, and provide a better user experience. It’s important for developers to take a thoughtful and iterative approach to app localization, and to test and iterate based on user feedback. By incorporating localization into their ASO strategy, iOS app developers can unlock the full potential of the global iOS market.
Localization is one of the most important aspects of ASO for iOS apps.
Localization involves adapting an app to a specific language, region, or culture to appeal to local users.
Localization is particularly important for iOS apps, given Apple’s global reach.
Best practices for localizing iOS apps include translating app metadata, adapting visuals, localizing app features, and testing and iterating.
The benefits of localizing iOS apps include improved discoverability, increased downloads and revenue, and enhanced user experience.