Last Updated: October 2023
The Google Play Store is the largest app marketplace in the world, with over 3 million apps available for download. With so many apps to choose from, app developers face two major challenges: how to get users to download their apps, and how to get noticed in the crowded marketplace. One of the key factors that can make or break an app’s success is the title.
“The title of your app is the first and most important aspect that you should focus on when optimizing your app for the Google Play Store. It should be clear, concise, and descriptive, and should include your target keywords,” says Thomas Petit, an ASO Expert.
Why App Title Matters?
The app title is the first thing users see when they search for an app on the Google Play Store. A well-crafted app title can grab the user’s attention, generate interest, and increase the likelihood that they will click through to the app listing.
In addition to attracting users, the app title also plays a critical role in app store optimization (ASO). Search algorithms use the app title to determine which apps are relevant to a particular search query. By including relevant keywords in the title, developers can improve their app’s visibility and search rankings.
Best Practices for App Titles
- Be Clear and Concise: The app title should be easy to understand, and should accurately reflect what the app does.
- Use Keywords: Including relevant keywords in the title can improve visibility and search rankings.
- Avoid Generic Names: Generic names (e.g. “Calculator” or “Notes”) can make it difficult for users to find your app.
- Keep it Short: Shorter titles are easier to read and remember, and are less likely to get truncated in search results.
- Consider Localizing: If you are targeting users in different countries or languages, consider translating or localizing your app title.
Examples of Effective App Titles
- Waze – GPS, Maps, Traffic Alerts & Live Navigation: This title clearly communicates what the app does, and includes several relevant keywords.
- Headspace: Meditation & Sleep: This title is short, memorable, and includes both the app’s primary focus and a secondary feature.
- Calm – Meditate, Sleep, Relax: This title uses a keyword-rich subheading to provide more context and improve search rankings.
- Duolingo: Learn Languages Free: This title includes the app’s primary function and a key selling point (free), making it both clear and enticing.
When it comes to app store optimization, the title is one of the most important factors to consider. By creating a clear, concise, and keyword-rich app title, developers can increase their visibility, attract more users, and ultimately, improve their app’s chances of success in the competitive app marketplace on Google Play Store.