Last Updated: March 2023
In the world of mobile apps, there are numerous factors that contribute to the success or failure of an app. One such factor is the app’s visibility or ranking in the app store. This is where Apple Search Optimization (ASO) plays a crucial role. It is the process of optimizing your app’s visibility in the Apple app store by using various techniques such as keywords, app name, app description, screenshots, and videos.
However, optimizing your app’s ASO does not end with these techniques. An essential factor that often gets overlooked is social proof. In simple terms, social proof refers to the influence that the actions and opinions of others have on our own behavior. In the context of mobile apps, it means that the ratings, reviews, and downloads of an app can influence the decision of a potential user to download or not download the app.
According to Steve P. Young, an ASO expert and founder of AppMasters, “Social proof is essential for ASO because it increases an app’s conversion rate. A high conversion rate means more downloads, more downloads mean more visibility, and more visibility leads to higher rankings.”
Therefore, it is important to include social proof in your ASO strategy if you want to increase the visibility and rankings of your app. In this article, we will explore the importance of social proof in your iOS app’s ASO and the different types of social proof to consider.
The Different Types of Social Proof
Before we dive into the importance of social proof in your app’s ASO, let’s first understand the different types of social proof.
1. Ratings and Reviews: The ratings and reviews of an app are crucial in influencing a user’s decision to download the app. The reviews provide insight into the app’s user experience, usability, and functionality, which help potential users decide whether or not to download the app.
2. Download Numbers: The number of downloads an app has received can also influence a user’s decision to download the app. If an app has a high number of downloads, it can create a sense of trust and credibility among potential users.
3. User Testimonials: Personal experiences of users with an app can also act as social proof. User testimonials provide insights into how people have used and benefited from an app, which can influence others to download the app.
The Importance of Social Proof in Your iOS App’s ASO
Now that we have a clear understanding of the different types of social proof let us dive into the importance of social proof in your iOS app’s ASO.
1. Improved Conversion Rate: As previously mentioned, social proof increases an app’s conversion rate, which means more downloads. When potential users see positive ratings and reviews, high download numbers, and user testimonials, they feel more confident about downloading the app, which ultimately helps improve the app’s conversion rate.
2. Increased Visibility: A higher conversion rate leads to more downloads, and more downloads mean more visibility. The more visible your app is, the higher it will rank in the app store. This is because the app store algorithms factor in the number of downloads, user engagement, and ratings and reviews when determining app rankings.
3. Greater Credibility: Social proof can increase an app’s credibility and trustworthiness in the eyes of potential users. This means that users are more likely to download and use an app that has positive reviews, high download numbers, and user testimonials.
Social proof is an essential component of your iOS app’s ASO strategy. It enhances your app’s visibility, credibility, and conversion rate. Therefore, it is crucial to encourage your users to rate and review your app, share their experiences and provide testimonials. Remember, the more social proof your app has, the more likely it is to be successful.